The Regional Development Council (RDC) VIII-Infrastructure and Utilities Development Committee (IUDC) endorsed additional infrastructure programs and projects for Eastern Visayas (EV) during its 1st Quarter 2018 meeting on 5 March 2018. These include roads and bridges, flood mitigation structures and drainage systems endorsed to the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) VIII, and airports and seaports endorsed to the Department of Transportation (DOTr) amounting to PhP 31.29 billion for FY 2019.
Other matters endorsed during the meeting are as follows:
- Samar Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (PDRRMC) Resolution No. 2, Series of 2018, entitled “Resolution Endorsing to the Regional Development Council (RDC) VIII for Engineering Intervention on the Perennial Flooding, Landslide and Road Slip along Catbalogan-Tacloban Maharlika Highway Section”;
- Construction of Palo Diversion Road (Brgys. Candahug, Pawing and Campetic) including Construction of Flood Control and Drainage System;
- Construction of the Citywide Flood Control and Drainage System Project of Tacloban City;
- Follow-up request of the City Government of Tacloban to the Office of the President for the immediate implementation of the Tacloban North Water Supply Project still pending with the Local Water Utilities Administration (LWUA);
- Revised proposal on Yolanda Remembrance and Learning Center to the Tourism Infrastructure and Enterprise Zone Authority (TIEZA) and Climate Change Commission (People’s Survival Fund) for funding support; and
- RDC VIII-IUDC Operational Framework in support of the implementation of the EV Regional Development Plan 2017-2022.
The road and bridge projects will increase connectivity of Geographically Isolated and Disadvantaged Areas (GIDA) to the rest of Region VIII, which will eventually boost their development and the economy of the region. The flood control projects will address persistent flooding and landslides which have been frequently occurring lately in certain localities.
The meeting was presided over by the RDC VIII-IUDC Chairperson and DPWH VIII Regional Director Edgar B. Tabacon, with the assistance of the RDC VIII-IUDC Co-Chairperson PSR Oliver Cam, and the RDC VIII Vice-Chairperson and NEDA VIII Regional Director Atty. Bonifacio G. Uy. It was attended by 56 representatives from regional line agencies, local government units, and the private sector.
Lucille B. Gajutos, PMED, NEDA VIII